Page last updated at 21 December 2016 at 15:30
What is self-build housing?
Self-build is when you design, plan and build your own home. There are a number of ways you can do it. The level of involvement you have in building your home can vary depending on which way you choose. Some people will do the building work themselves, some will hire a contractor to do it for them. Self-builders may be individuals or part of a group.
Registering your interest
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on councils to keep a register of individuals and community groups locally who want to acquire land for self-build homes and to have regard to these registers in carrying out its planning function.
The new online register of interest will enable the Council to gather evidence to see if there is a demand for this type of development within the borough. If the Council becomes aware of land that may be suitable for self-build it will highlight this register to the landowner/ agent. Detailed legislation on the content of the register has yet to be published.
Please be aware that self-build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes.
To be included on the register please contact email@example.com with the following details (pursuant to the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015):
- Title, Name, Address and Contact Details.
- Whether you are acting as an individual, or on behalf of an association of individuals. If you are an individual, please provide details of your circumstances including age and nationality.
- The nature of the self-build project you are interested in - Individual plot; Individual serviced plot as part of a larger self-build site (provided by a developer, local authority or landlord); Community led/collective Self-build projects, such as Community Land Trusts or co-housing projects; Eco-homes; or not sure yet.
- What you want to build - Detached house, semi-detached, terraced, flat or maisonette as part of a 'group' self-build project.
- What size of home do you want to build - number of bedrooms, garden, garage or parking.
- Where you wish to build the self-build project described above - Do you own the land? If so please provide a map or plan identifying the boundary in red. If not where do you wish to build (specific locations or the name of the general locality), what size plot do you require, what is your budget ,when do you wish to start or acquire the land and do you intend to occupy the house once it is built
- Whether you have any connection to the area you intend to build.
- What finances do you have in place for this self-build project – how do you intend to raise any additional funds necessary?
- Are you interested in: Full ownership; shared equity or rental.
- What you have done to progress the self-build project to date.
- What additional help would be useful to progress the self-build project.
Sources of Help, Advice & Funding
If you have a building plot
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to check whether anyone has expressed an interest in a self-build plot in your area.
If you have any questions or need help regarding self-build housing, please contact:
Eastleigh Borough Council,
Upper Market Street,
Eastleigh, SO50 9YN,