Households where every adult is a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax.

If a non-student resides with you, they must pay Council Tax. A 25% discount will be awarded where there is only one adult who is not a student.

A student (including those who are from overseas) must be undertaking a university or college full-time course which lasts for at least one academic or calendar year, takes at least 24 weeks a year and involves at least 21 hours of study per week during term-time.

If you are under 20 years old you must be undertaking a course which lasts more than three months and at least 12 hours of study per week (for example, A level, ONC and OND Standard). 

Providing student status evidence

We will require evidence of your student status. You can obtain a document from your education provider that confirms you are enrolled with them and provides details of your course. You can obtain a copy from your academic registrar or student records department.

The benefits of a MyEastleigh account and how to set one up

Remember: While the property may be exempt from paying the full amount, you still need to register for Council Tax for that property so we are aware who is living there. Please complete our change of address form. Once you have registered, you can then apply for any discounts or exemptions you are eligible for.