Severely mentally impaired

If someone in your household is mentally disabled, you may be entitled to money off your Council Tax

This can be an exemption or discount that may apply to your Council Tax because you or member of your household is mentally disabled and not counted for Council Tax purposes.

This includes people who have been diagnosed as suffering with severe and enduring mental health issues including Alzheimers disease, and other forms of dementia.

To be eligible for the discount, their condition must be confirmed by a doctor. We will ask for permission to write to the doctor for confirmation.

They must also be in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits even if they don't receive it, for example because they are of pension age:

    • Short-term or long-term Incapacity Benefit (IB)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Attendance Allowance (AA)
    • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
    • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
    • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
    • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
    • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)
    • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
    • The ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘the limited capability for work related elements’ of Universal Credit

If all but one of the residents is severely mentally impaired, a 25% disregard discount will apply.

If two or more adults live in the property and are not disregarded, no discount or exemption will apply regardless of how many occupiers are severely mentally impaired.

The following Council Tax discounts and exemptions may also apply to you: