Planning Advice

Do I need planning permission

Page last updated at 29 August 2017 at 17:09

Do I Need Planning Permission?  

You can make certain types of minor changes to your home without the need for making a planning application. These rights are called ‘permitted development rights’ and derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. The leaflets below have been designed to give you an introduction to permitted development rights and help you to establish whether or not you need to make a planning application.   

PlansPlease Note: Between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019, householders can build larger single storey rear extensions under permitted development. The size limits have temporarily doubled from four to eight metres for detached houses and from three to six metres for all other houses. These new larger extensions (i.e. if they extend between four and eight metres or between three and six metres) must go through a process of prior notification

Further information is available on The Planning Portal which also has an interactive house guide for common household developments

Householder Enquiry Form (pdf) - If you require written confirmation of whether or not a planning application is required for your proposed works you can use this form or for non-household works you can write to us at Development Management, Eastleigh Borough Council, Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh, SO50 9YN, including details of your proposals, an indicative drawing showing accurate distances and dimensions, as well as any supporting information you may feel will help us to answer your enquiry. Please Note: other than for those extensions covered by the new prior notification process, this is a fee paying service which carries a charge of £75.25 per enquiry; enquiries received without the correct fee will not be processed.

Please Note: It is your responsibility to ensure that any works you undertake have the necessary permission. If you build something that requires planning permission and you have not obtained this permission, you may be subject to enforcement action that could result in you being asked to remove or undo the works you have undertaken which could prove both costly and time consuming.


Pre-Application Advice and Charges

Plans2Eastleigh Borough Council in line with many other local authorities and in accordance with the terms of the Local Government Act 2003 has introduced a chargeable Pre-Application Advice Service.

The service has been designed to ensure that we are able to continue to provide advice to a consistent and high standard to the benefit of all parties involved. 

A full list of those proposals which are considered to be exempt from payment can be found in the Council's 'Pre-Application Planning Advice: Guidance Note' document which is accessible using the link below.

For all other types of development, a fee is required as detailed in the Council's Fee Schedule or in our Guidance Note.

Payment must be received before any meetings or discussions take place or any advice is provided. All requests for advice should be submitted using the Council's 'Request for Pre-Application Planning Advice' application form (see below).

Further information relating to the revised Pre-Application Advice Service, including details of information you are required to submit with your proposal as well as the level of service that you will receive in return for your fee, can be found in the 'Council's Pre-Application Planning Advice: Guidance Note' (see below). You should read this document before submitting any request for pre-application advice.

Pre-Application Advice Scheme Documents:

Should you have any queries relating to the revised service or are unsure as to the fee required to be submitted with your proposal please contact our Customer Services Team on 023 8068 8000 or email


Guidance on Aspects of the Planning and Construction Process