Freedom of Information

Freedom of information, re-use of information and subject access requests

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides public access to information held by public authorities, and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 provide public access to environmental information held by public authorities. You can only obtain information that would be given to anybody who asked for it, or is suitable for the general public to see.

The Regulations and the Freedom of Information Act do not give people access to their own personal data (information about themselves), such as their health records or credit reference files. Individuals have a right of access to information held about them under the Data Protection Act 1998 by making a subject access request.

Before you make a request:

Is the information held by Eastleigh Borough Council (EBC)?

Some services are provided by Hampshire County Council.

  • Social/children/adult services
  • Education Services
  • Highways/road maintenance/street lighting

If your request is about one of these services, please contact Hampshire County Council. If you are still unsure which council provides the service, contact us before making a request.

Please note that the our housing stock was transferred to Vivid Homes in 1996 and therefore we do not hold any information on this, however we do have information relating to our property assets.

Is the information you want already on the our website?

We may already publish the information you are looking for on our website and our Publication Scheme (which includes information provided under the Transparency Code 2015) provides a guide to the information that we publish regularly or intend to publish in the future.

We receive a number of requests of a similar nature for information relating to Business Rate. To promote openness and transparency, we proactively publish information on a quarterly basis relating to:

  • accounts in credit
  • credits written on
  • full list of non-domestic properties within Eastleigh including, rateable value, current reliefs, empty property relief/exemption.
  • new account liabilities created.

A request for updated information in advance of when the next update is due will normally be refused under Section 22 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 on the grounds that it is information that we hold with the intention of publishing at a specific date.

If the information you require is not available by other means, you can make a request using the guidance below. When you make your request, we will decide if it is covered by FOI or EIR.

What can I request?

You can request to see information which is recorded, including:

  • information held on computers
  • information held in emails
  • printed or handwritten documents
  • images, video and audio recordings.

We do not have to answer your question if this would mean creating new information or giving an opinion or judgement that is not already recorded.

Alternatively, you can make a request in writing to the Freedom of Information Officer.  An EIR request can also be made verbally but a written request avoids any misunderstanding regarding what information you want. Please include your contact details to enable us to respond to you.

For further guidance on Freedom of Information requests please see our frequently asked questions