Subject Access Requests
How to access your personal data
Subject access requests, give you the right to obtain a copy of your personal data as well as other supplementary information. This helps you understand how and why we are using your data, and check we are doing it lawfully.
The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 has made it easier for you to request this information, in removing the charge, and reducing the response timescale.
- You have the right to access your personal data. (Subject Access Requests)
- You can make a subject access request verbally or in writing - your request does not have to include the phrase 'subject access request' or Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulations, as long as it is clear that what you are asking for is your own personal data.
- We have one month to respond to your request.
- We cannot charge a fee to deal with your request in most circumstances unless it is manifestly unfounded or excessive. We may charge a ‘reasonable fee’ (administrative costs). If we decide to charge a fee we will contact you promptly and inform you. We will not comply with the request until we have received the fee.
- We can extend the time to respond to you by a further two months if your request is complex or we have received a number of requests from you. We will let you know within one month of receiving your request and explain why the extension is necessary.
Third party asking for information on behalf of another
In these cases, you will need to provide sufficient evidence in order to satisfy us that you are entitled to act on behalf of the individual. This might be a written authority to make the request or it might be a more general power of attorney.