Hackney Carriage driver's licence
Information on applying to be a Hackney Carriage driver
To make an application to become a Hackney Carriage driver in Eastleigh Borough please make an appointment with our Licensing Team at:
Licensing Team, Hedge End Depot, Botley Road, Hedge End, Southampton SO30 2RA
Telephone 023 8068 8109
You will need to bring the following items with you to the appointment:
- A full current driving licence that has been valid for two years prior to the date of application. If new style, plastic card and paper counterpart;
- Completed application Form
- Produce, for examination, a current certificate of insurance covering "for hire and reward" with your name on it;
- Proof of identification: Passport, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, and Utility Bill showing current address;
- National Insurance number proof, card or correspondence;
- Two colour passport size photographs;
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check fee £44.00 enhanced (cash, card or cheque payable to Eastleigh Borough Council);
- Medical form completed by doctor (required for all new applications and every 5 years thereafter). On attaining 65 years of age a medical certificate will be required every year -
- Download the the following medical forms
- Medical form,
- Medical Screening Form (if not using own doctor),
- screening notes
Before arranging for this medical report to be completed please read the notes at section C, paragraphs 1,2,3,4 and 5 (Group 2 Medical Standards). If you have any of these conditions you may not be granted a licence
If, after reading the notes, you have any doubts about your ability to meet the medical standards of Group 2 as set out on DVLA web site (see note B2 below for web site), consult your Doctor and/or Optician before you arrange for this medical report to be completed. In the event of your application being refused, the fee you pay your Doctor is not refundable, Eastleigh Borough Council has no responsibility for the fee payable to your Doctor.
In future, if you develop symptoms of a condition that could affect safe driving, you must inform our Licensing Team immediately.
- All new applicants to be hackney carriage drivers must take and pass the our "knowledge test". The test cost id £15 each.
The licence fee is £182.00 for a 3 year licence.