Private hire vehicle licences
Information on applying for a private hire vehicle licence
Private hire vehicles cannot apply for hire in the street or at taxi ranks. Journeys must be pre-booked, normally by phone, an app or in person at a minicab office. Failure to do so is an offence and may invalidate the vehicle's insurance cover.
Fares for private hire vehicles are not regulated by the Council - the cost of a journey will normally be based on a rate per mile or should be agreed with the company before the journey. Private hire vehicles licensed by the Council must display a green/white plate on the rear of the vehicle, a smaller internal plate on the near side of the windscreen, and approved door signs. Roof signs are not permitted.
Private hire drivers must also wear an ID badge issued by the Council have a second ID badge on display in the vehicle, which includes their photograph.
When private hire operator signs are displayed (no longer mandatory), to prevent confusion, that vehicle should only carry out bookings for that same operator. These signs should be displayed on the front doors of the vehicle to the satisfaction of the Head of Legal Services & Data Protection Officer. Magnetic signs are not permitted.
Any vehicle to be licence for the first time must be less than 7 years old. No diesel vehicle with an emissions standard of level 5 (euro 5) or lower shall be granted a licence other than by way of licence renewal.
All new vehicles to be licensed need to be presented to the workshop at Hedge End Depot to undergo a mechanical inspection check. To book an appointment please visit their webpage. A fee for this service is payable to the workshop.
Apply for a private hire vehicle licence
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself at least five minutes to fill in the form.
You will need to upload the following documents with your application:
- V5C - Vehicle registration document or bill of sale if you have just purchased the vehicle (V5C to be produced when in possession)
- Certificate or cover note of insurance covering the vehicle for hire and reward for Private Hire use and Social Domestic and Pleasure purposes for you and your drivers.
- Current vehicle mechanical inspection form completed by the workshop at Hedge End Depot
- Copy of the certificate of a standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for each person on the licence. This must be less than six months old at the time of application. If you do not hold a hackney carriage and/or private hire drivers licence with Eastleigh Borough Council at the time of applying to licence your private hire vehicle, you must provide the Council with a basic DBS certificate no more than 6 months from the date of issue. If you are applying as a registered company, all officers of said company must provide a basic DBS certificate.
No fee will be taken at the time of submission as a pro rata fee will be charged depending on what plate numbers are available. This will be taken over the telephone by credit/debit card. The Renewal fee each year is £180.00 for a 12 month licence.
There is no requirement in Policy for private hire vehicles to be wheelchair accessible. However, any vehicle which has been modified to carry a wheelchair will need to undergo an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) test with the DVSA; this needs to be a 'normal' test under the voluntary scheme. More information can be found on the GOV.UK site.
An Eastleigh licensed private hire vehicle may never be driven by anyone who does not hold an Eastleigh private hire driver's licence, whether or not the vehicle is being used for a licensable activity. The private hire plate may only be removed from the vehicle by an authorised officer.
The forms for a change of vehicle on an existing licence, transfer of licence and for notification of the change of address of an existing licence holder, together with the policy and conditions for such licences can be found below. You are strongly advised to seek the advice of the licensing team before purchasing any vehicle to be licensed for private hire. Please note that as a matter of law, licences are granted for a period of up to 12 months.
Application to transfer a private hire vehicle licence.
For any transfer of a private hire vehicle licence, please make an appointment to complete the form. All parties must attend and sign the form in front of an officer. Photo I.D will be required. Please note that for any person named on the new licence, a DBS disclosure is required, at least a basic disclosure and less than 6 months old.
Members of the licensing team are normally available at Eastleigh House on Monday, Wednesday & Friday each week between 09:00 and 14:00.
General Data Protection
- Please note that the licensing authority may be required by law to disclose to the appropriate authorities, from time to time, further information relating to applications and licences for the purposes of law enforcement and the prevention of fraud.