Hackney carriage licences
Information on hackney carriage licences
Hackney carriages, often referred to as taxis, may be hired as follows:
- hailed in the street
- from a taxi rank
- by pre-booking
The maximum fares for journeys within the borough are regulated by the borough council. They can only ever be driven by the holder of a hackney carriage driver's licence from the Eastleigh Borough council, whether or not the vehicles are available for hire.
The licence conditions require that hackney carriages have either an integral "taxi" roof sign (purpose built vehicles) or an approved "taxi" roof sign. The Sign must be illuminated when plying for hire and unlit when hired. The vehicle also has an orange licence plate on the rear of the vehicle, the details of which are reproduced on a sticker in the windscreen.
Before a Hackney Carriage vehicle licence is granted, renewed, or transferred, an application must be completed and submitted to us
You will need to produce the following for examination at the time of application :
- Vehicle registration document or bill of sale (Log book to be produced when in possession)
- Current vehicle insurance certificate that shows cover for "public hire and reward" with named driver on the certificate
- Current vehicle mechanical inspection form completed by the workshop at Hedge End Depot
- A meter certificate
- Pay the appropriate fee
No diesel vehicle with an emissions standard of level 5 (euro 5) or lower shall be granted a licence other than by way of licence renewal.
Each person to be named on the vehicle licence shall supply with the application a minimum of a standard DBS check less than 6 months old at the time of application.
NOTE: Applicants should allow at least 5 working days for the Council to process an application.
- Application for a new hackney carriage licence
- Change of vehicle form
- Transfer of licence - please make an appointment to complete the form.
- Licensed vehicle age policy
- Hackney Carriage Table of Fares - from 26 September 2022
- Change of address form
Application to transfer a hackney carriage licence
For any transfer of a hackney carriage, please make an appointment to complete the form. All parties must attend and sign the form in front of an officer. Photo I.D will be required. Please note that for any person named on the new licence, a DBS disclosure is required, at least a basic disclosure and less than 6 months old.
- Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh SO50 9YN
- Telephone: 023 8254 5376
- Email: email@example.com
Members of the licensing team are normally available at Eastleigh House on Monday, Wednesday & Friday each week between 09:00 and 14:00. To submit any applications an appointment must be made before attending the office.