All HealthWorks services have been suspended until further notice to restrict the spread of Coronavirus.
The 12-week referral scheme
What is the referral scheme?
The physical activity referral scheme (often initially 12 weeks) is designed to provide opportunities for people to improve their health and become more active. It is facilitated by the team based at the Places Leisure Eastleigh Health Hub (also operating from Wildern Leisure Centre, Hedge End). This is an NHS-endorsed Accredited Scheme.
Am I eligible?
To access the scheme, you must be over the age of 16 and:
- have an existing medical condition that could be improved by being more physically active (e.g. mental health, cancer or neurological/pulmonary/cardiac)
- live a ‘sedentary’ or physically inactive lifestyle
- are at risk of Coronary Heart Disease (e.g. high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity)
The aim of the regular structured physical activity is to help you:
- Strengthen your heart
- Improve your circulation
- Lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Control your weight
- Decrease your risk of developing or help with the management of chronic conditions such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some cancers
- Reduce stress and increase self-confidence
How much does it cost?
Your first appointment, follow up appointments and design of your programme are free services.
The use of leisure facilities are not free of charge, but HealthWorks service users receive a discounted rate for activities that fall under the scheme. Activities include, gym access, swimming and low intensity classes.
What’s the process?
Your first appointment can take anywhere between 30 to 60 minutes at either Places Leisure Eastleigh or Wildern Leisure Centre. You will meet with a member of the team to go through a pre-exercise questionnaire and discuss the different activities available.
The team will work with you to set realistic goals and work through an action plan. If the gym is something you would like to try, we’ll set you up with a personalised programme and taking into account your medical conditions and reason for referral.
Throughout the programme you will have access to ongoing support and receive follow-ups/reviews at e.g. six and 12 weeks.
Once you have completed your initial period you can remain on the scheme for a further year as a graduate user, with ongoing support from the team.
How do I access the scheme?
You can ask your healthcare professional for a referral onto the scheme or self-refer.