Phase 2: Improving the water system
Improvements to the waterways and pathways started in 2021 and will continue in summer 2022
As part of the Hiltingbury Lakes Transformation Project, Eastleigh Borough Council appointed B&M McHugh Ltd to carry out the following improvement works.
To find out more please watch our video update.
- Remaining repairs to the four weirs at the lower ponds will be completed in summer 2022 (as shown in areas 1a and 1b on the map below.)
- Repairs to riverbanks and eroded paths next to the lower ponds were completed in 2021.
- New footpath surfacing to create an improved walking route around the lower ponds.
- The footpath on the east side of the lake was restored in 2021 (see map below).
- New drainage work to help rainwater find its way into the river without flooding the paths was started in 2021 and will be completed in 2022.
- New and replacement fencing adjacent to (pond side of) the pathways around the lower ponds was completed in 2021.
- Replacement of the wooden footbridge near the Kingsway entrance was carried out in 2021 and new decking boards will be added in 2022.
- The main bridge was replaced in 2021 but will be lifted out in 2022 to carry out essential maintenance on the steel beams supporting the woodwork.
All works have been approved by the Environment Agency. Whilst this vital improvement work is being carried out, parts of the footpath network may be temporarily closed for the safety of visitors to The Lakes. We will aim to keep as much of the site as open as possible during the daytime and any areas that are closed off will only remain so for as short a period as possible.