Improvements and repairs to property

Property in disrepair - contact your landlord if your home needs repairs, is damp or mouldy

If you think your home needs repairs or improvements you should always contact your landlord first. If your landlord does not carry out the work then please contact us.

Your landlord is usually responsible for:

  • the exterior and structure of the building
  • the water, gas and electricity supply
  • toilets, bathrooms and drainage; and
  • installations for food safety, ventilation, and heating for rooms and water

The Health and Safety Rating System

Your landlord or their agent must tell you of any serious hazards that exist in your home and around it. There is a ‘housing health and safety rating system’ of 29 potential hazards, including noise; mould and damp; harmful substances like asbestos; overcrowding, poor lighting and pests.

Following an assessment by a qualified and competent office any defects or potential risks identified will be determined as either Category 1 hazards (significant) or Category 2 hazards (lower risk). The Council has a statutory duty to take action in relation to Category 1 hazards. For the lower risk category 2 hazards it is discretionary and will be determined based on the individual circumstances of the case.

If you want to know more, check out this government guidance on the HHSRS.

Gas safety

All gas installations and appliances must be checked and maintained every 12 months by a suitably qualified installer.

HSE website

Gas Safe Register

Electrical safety

Under the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 landlords are required to have the electrical installation inspected and tested at least every 5 years. They are required to provide a copy of the new electrical installation condition report (EICR) to tenants within 28 days of the inspection and a copy of the current EICR at the start of any new tenancy.

Landlords are required to undertake any further investigation or remedial work identified on the EICR within 28 days of inspection, or by the time specified in the report if less than 28 days.

Please see the Government guidance for more information.

Dampness and mould growth

Dampness and mould growth is a common problem, particularly during the winter months. If your rented property is suffering from dampness and/or mould growth you can download our advice leaflet for support and information.