Energy efficiency for landlords

Combating fuel poverty, reducing CO2 emissions and saving you money

Loft and cavity wall insulation

Insulating your property is the best and most common way of saving energy.  In the loft, deep rolls of insulation can be installed in minutes. For cavity walls, small holes are drilled into the walls of the property and the insulation is pumped in to fill the cavity.  If done correctly the work will improve your home and reduce dampness by keeping the inside of the house warmer. 

Contractors should be registered with the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Association (CIGA) who guarantee work done by those registered for 25 years. 

Energy Performance Certificates

Every building must now be issued with an energy performance certificate (EPC) when it is constructed, rented out (except HMOs) or sold. The certificate suggest ways to improve the energy performance of a property but, more importantly, it will allow prospective tenants to compare buildings on energy performance. 

The certificate gives each building an energy rating from A to G, similar to those seen on white goods. Under the Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) Regulations no property can legally be rented if it is less than a Grade E unless it has an exemption certificate (exemptions are only valid for 5 years).

The cost of producing the certificate is the owner's responsibility. Each certificate  will last for ten years unless major renovation work is carried out. You can obtain a new certificate after completing any energy efficiency work.

Tax incentives

Tax incentives may also be available for having energy efficiency works carried out on your rented property.