Renting out a room in your home

Renting out a room in your home is an effective way of earning extra income and helping pay your rent or mortgage. 

You do not need to be a homeowner - your rental agreement for social housing or a privately rented home may allow you to take in a lodger (subject to your landlord's consent). 

If you have a mortgage you should check that taking in a lodger is within your mortgage lender's terms and conditions. 

We encourage people with spare rooms to rent them out, although if you have a spare room, rules on under-occupation may affect any benefits you receive. If you receive benefits you will have to declare that a non-dependant is living with you).

You will need to make sure that the person you take in is suitable for you. Housing Association tenants can also get information and advice about taking in a lodger or boarder from their landlord.

How to rent a room in your home 

We can advise on the impact of renting a room in your home - please contact us.