Energy efficiency for Landlords

Page last updated at 30 March 2016 at 12:28

Energy Efficiency for Landlords Energy House S

Privately rented properties make up about one in twenty of the homes in Eastleigh area. By targeting these properties Eastleigh Council is not only trying to combat fuel poverty, but also helping to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. 


Energy Efficiency Work - money well spent

Loft and cavity wall insulation is the best and most common way of saving energy.  In the loft, deep rolls of insulation can be installed in minutes. For cavity walls, small holes are drilled into the walls of the property and the insulation is pumped in to fill the cavity.  Homes without cavities can be better insulated in a range of ways.

Mother Showers Daughter SThere have been problems in the past where incompetent or unscrupulous contractors have installed cavity wall insulation carelessly.  However, if done correctly the work will improve your home and reduce dampness by keeping the inside of the house warmer.  Contractors should be registered with the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Association (CIGA) - who guarantee work done by those registered for 25 years.  CIGA's Frequently Asked Questions can give you some quick brief answers and it has published a Good Practice Guide to help you ensure your walls are suitable for cavity wall insulation and that the job is done correctly. 


Why have Energy Performance Certificates?


Every building must now be issued with an energy performance certificate when it is constructed, rented out (except HMOs) or sold. The certificate will make suggestions of ways to improve the energy performance of a property, but more importantly will allow prospective tenants to compare buildings on energy performance. 

The certificate will give each building a SAP rating ( a score out of 100) and this will equate to an energy rating from A to G, similar to those seen on white goods. From April 1st 2016 no property will be legally allowed to be rented if it is less than a Grade E and this changes in 2018 to Grade D. The cost of producing the certificate is the owner's responsibility. Each certificate will last for ten years unless major renovation work is carried out and you can also obtain a new certificate after completing any energy efficiency work.

Eastleigh Borough Council has Assessors that can provide EPCs at highly competitive rates as well other services. For more information visit our Energy Performance Certificates page.


You can get financial help, too!

If you're interested in energy efficiency measures, financial assistance can be provided. For more information visit our low cost loans page


Save on tax, too

There may be some tax incentives available for having energy efficiency works carried out on your rented property, these would be decided on a case by case basis. For further information please visit the Government's Website.