The Chandler's Ford and Hiltingbury Local Area Committee have approved £260,000 for the restoration of the Hiltingbury Lakes site.
The much needed work will restore the popular beauty spot back to its former glory by:
- improving water flows through the lakes
- removing invasive plants
- protecting wildlife
- improving paths
- providing better visitor information
- restoring historical woodland
- The project commenced in August. The team carried out an essential topographical survey to provide detailed information regarding all of the land and the various tree species on it.
- Staff working on the project attended and reviewed public feedback and comments received during and after the Hiltingbury Extrav event in September.
- The design and scope of habitat management work packages which will take place in winter.
- In December the team will attend the CFH working group meeting to present the habitat work package to members.
- They anticipate that the removal/reduction of invasive species will take place in January/February 2020 following public engagement in December.
- During December the team will continue with site surveys including engineering survey of structures and wildlife surveys. They will also begin clearing and uncovering pathways at the site.
As part of the ongoing work in the area the team are inviting volunteers to get involved with the project to help with clearing the site and protecting the environment during the transformation.
If you'd like to get involved with the Hiltingbury Lakes transformation or to find out more please contact firstname.lastname@example.org