Council Tax support

Reducing the amount you have to pay

You could get Council Tax Support to help you pay your Council Tax if you are on a low income or claiming benefits. Council Tax Support is a payment made directly to your Council Tax account which reduces the amount you have to pay.  You will be sent a bill showing the Council Tax due, less any Council Tax Support that has been awarded. 

How much you are entitled to depends on your income and circumstances. The amount you get can pay for part or all of your Council Tax. Please remember that any delay in claiming will mean that you may lose out on support to which you may have been entitled.

How to make a claim

You will need to complete an online application form and provide the original documents asked for on the form. If you do not, your claim may be delayed and we may not be able to pay you support. When your claim has been assessed and all your details verified, we will write to you with a decision.

If you have not heard from us within 21 days of making your claim, please contact us immediately to check we have received it and that we are not waiting for any other information. If you are housebound, one of our officers can help you complete the form at your home. If you are having difficulty completing the online form please contact us.

If you are self-employed and do not have up-to-date accounts for your self-employed business, please complete a Self Employed Earnings Information form.

Your personal information will be held and used in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations 2018. More details

View our Council Tax Reduction Scheme Policy


Frequently asked questions

If you have been paid too much Council Tax Support, an amended Council Tax bill will be sent to you telling you how much you have to pay. To discuss payment of your Council Tax please contact us.

If you do not agree with a decision about the Council Tax Support awarded you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This request should be made in writing giving the date of the decision that you would like us to look at again and why you disagree with that decision. The request must be signed by you and sent to the us within 21 days of the decision.

When we have checked the Council Tax Support award we will write to you to advise of our decision, if you are not satisfied with the outcome or you have not received a response you will then need to make an appeal. This should be done within two months from the date of the Council's final decision to the Valuation Tribunal. This site also contains further information concerning the Council Tax Reduction appeals process.

If you are self-employed you should send us your latest accounts or, if these aren't available, you'll need to complete a self-employed income form.

If you are over pensionable age your claim for Council Tax Support can be paid up to a maximum of three months. If you request this you will be asked to provide details of your circumstances during this past period. If you are under pensionable age you may ask for your claim to be backdated for up to one month for Council Tax Support. In both cases you must prove that you had a very good reason for failing to apply earlier. You will be asked for documentary evidence to support your request. For instance, if you have been ill, a letter from your doctor or the hospital.