Frequently Asked Questions - Digital Permits

A new system offering parking permit holders the opportunity to purchase and manage their parking permits has been introduced. The new virtual permit scheme provides customers with a quicker and improved service together with greater flexibility in how they use their permits.

What is MiPermit?

MiPermit is a new and improved system whereby people living in a Resident Permit Zone can now buy digital Resident Permits and also obtain Visitor Permits online, quickly and easily.

What is a digital permit?

A digital permit replaces the need to display a paper permit in a vehicle’s windscreen.
When purchasing a Resident Permit or Visitor Permits, you will be required to supply the vehicle registration number you wish to park in the zone. The Civil Enforcement Officers in the Parking Enforcement Team can electronically identify the digital permit from the vehicle registration number.

Why is the permit scheme changing?

Digital permit schemes have been adopted by many local authorities throughout the country. Digital permits give residents the flexibility to manage, renew and pay online, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

What are the benefits?

Digital permits are instantly enabled to give you a quicker and more efficient experience. Because the permits are digital they can no longer be lost or stolen which saves residents the cost and inconvenience of applying for a replacement. Digital permits cannot fall from view so the risk of receiving a Penalty Charge Notice for failing to clearly displaying a permit has gone.

How will enforcement work?

Every digital permit will be accessible on the Enforcement Officer’s handheld terminals so they will know exactly which vehicles are permitted to park. We will also have much greater control over the permits in circulation. A digital permit system greatly decreases the possibility of fraud as permits cannot be lost or stolen thereby creating more space for legitimate residents.

How do I register with MiPermit?

You can register with MiPermit online. Current residents can register via MiPermit and will be required to provide your Council Tax account Number. If you are new to the area you will be able to apply without a Council Tax account number utilising the following as supporting evidence with your application: Contract Exchange, Developer or Tenancy Agreement.

I have no access to online facilities! How do I apply for a permit?

If you do not have access to the online MiPermit system you can contact MiPermit by telephone on 023  8068 8438 between the hours of 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday, and 10am to 4pm Sunday.

I do not have my Council Tax account number. How can I obtain it?

Your Council Tax account number can be found on your Council Tax bill. If you are unable to locate your Council Tax account number, you can request this from by emailing or by telephone on 023 8068 8470

If you have recently moved into your property and have not yet received a Council Tax bill, please call 023 8068 8438 to register with MiPermit.  To prove your residency, you will be asked to email a copy of your Tenancy Agreement or completion statement.

How do I renew a permit?

The date your permit expires is shown on your MiPermit online account. You will receive an email notification that your permit is due for renewal one month before your current permit is due to expire. If you did not supply an email address on registration, you will be notified by MiPermit by post. It is your responsibility to make sure your permit is current.
You can renew your permit using your MiPermit account.

What happens if I change my vehicle?

You can change your vehicle details online by going to the MiPermit website, by telephoning MiPermit or using the MiPermit App. It is in your own interest as a resident to ensure that non-residents do not obtain permits. A Resident Permit can only be issued to a vehicle belonging to or hired by a person who is a resident within one of the Resident Permit Zones. You can enter the vehicle registration number of your nominated vehicle on the initial application or renewal of the permit. Thereafter, you will need to contact MiPermit by telephone if you wish to change your vehicle details. A member of staff may, at any time, ask for proof of ownership to confirm the validity of the vehicle. An accepted form of evidence would be:

  • A copy of the V5 registration document showing the vehicle is registered against the property within the designated Resident Permit zone
  • An insurance document showing the vehicle is insured against the property within the designated Resident Permit zone
  • A letter from a hire or lease company confirming that the resident has permission to drive the vehicle

Residents obtaining permits for vehicles which fall outside the scope of the scheme may have the permit cancelled and no refund give.

Are visitor permits digital?

Yes, if you live within a controlled zone, you will be entitled to a number of free digital visitor parking permits. These allow your visitors to park in designated residents’ parking bays near to your home. Visitor permits allow all day parking in designated Residents' Parking bays, but are not valid in Limited Waiting bays or Pay & Display bays (including shared use bays).  The number of permits you will receive depends on the number of adults (aged 18 and over) in your household and the parking zone you live in.

How many digital visitor permits is a household entitled to?

It is not a requirement to have a parking permit to be eligible for visitor permits. Eligible households within Zones 1-11 & H1 can have the following number of visitor permits per year:

Number of adults                     Number of visitor permits
           1                                                         100
           2                                                         125
           3                                                         150
           4                                                         175

I still have some paper visitor permits left. Can I still use these?

Yes, until the expiry date.

Can I manage my visit permit allocation online?

Yes, you can also use the MiPermit App or SMS to activate visitor permits if you have registered your mobile phone number on your account. 

If you have visitor permits to use on your account, you can send an SMS (text message) to 61600 (or 60300) with the following (examples):

Text VISITOR followed by a space and the registration number of the visiting vehicle eg


This will allow your visitor in vehicle A123BCD to park until the end of the parking restrictions in your zone. 

Further details on using SMS or you may prefer to manage your visitor permits via the MiPermit App for your smart phone. 

Top tip - in the settings section of the app - remember to;

set the App to Permits
set the 'Use last settings' button to off to avoid the app defaulting to the last registration number. 

How do I pay?

You can make payment by debit or credit card as part of your application either online or by telephone to MiPermit. If you do not have a debit or credit card, and no one else can assist, please telephone us for advice on 023 8068 8000

How do I cancel a permit?  Can I request a refund?

You may cancel your Resident Permit at any time. To cancel a permit, you must contact MiPermit. A refund may be available.

What do I do if I have a courtesy vehicle?

If you have to use a courtesy vehicle, you have two options:

  1. Telephone MiPermit on 023 8068 8438 and arrange for your registration details on your Resident Permit to be changed (you must also telephone MiPermit again to re-instate your original vehicle once the courtesy vehicle is returned).
  2. Purchase and activate a Visitor permit using your online MiPermit account.

What do I do if I am moving?

If you move house to another property within a Resident Permit Zone, you must telephone MiPermit on 023 8068 8438. A member of staff will transfer the details of your permit(s) to the new address. If you move house to a property which is not included in a Resident Permit Zone, you must telephone MiPermit on 023 8068 8438 and cancel your Resident Permit.

What do I need to do if I am having some work being carried out on my house?

You will need to supply all vehicles parked with Visitor permits. Contractors can contact Eastleigh Borough Council for advice about a dispensation permit.

What do I need to do if I am hiring a skip?

A skip does require a special permit to park in a road but the skip company should arrange this with Hampshire County Council’s Highways Department. No parking permit will be required for the skip. However, if your vehicle is parked in the road due to the skip being on your drive, you will need to display a permit in the vehicle.

When are restrictions in force in my Resident Permit zone?

The times when anyone can park in resident bays without a permit vary from road to road, so it is best to check the signs on an individual road.

Do the restrictions still apply during Bank Holidays?

Resident parking restrictions do not apply on Bank Holidays, unless specifically stated on the signs at the site of the restrictions.

If I am not using my allocation of permits for my property, can I purchase one or two for a non-resident?

No. A permit cannot be purchased for a non-resident. From time to time, we will ask for evidence to support permits purchased.

Queries and comments

If you have any queries about digital permits, please contact MiPermit by email to or by telephone on 023 8068 8438