Our work with schools
Find out about the range of benefits the Eco-Schools programme can offer
Eco-Schools is an international award programme that supports schools with a framework to help embed sustainable principles into the heart of their school life.
In England the Eco-Schools programme is operated by the charity Keep Britain Tidy and over 70% of schools have signed up. In our Borough 46% of schools are registered and we have one Green Flag Award school.
Becoming an Eco-School
Signing up to the Eco-Schools programme can have huge benefits for children including:
- Improvements in team-working skills
- Building self esteem, confidence and leadership skills
- Introducing important career skills including planning and delivering projects, running meetings, taking minutes, interpreting data and evaluation
- Building sustainability into all aspects of their lives
The Eco-Schools programme also benefits the school by:
- Saving money which can be reinvested elsewhere
- Enhancing the curriculum
- Creating opportunities to connect with parents and the wider community
- Enabling improvements to your school and grounds
- Positive publicity
Our bespoke package
We offer a bespoke package with a qualified council Eco-Schools assessor who will assist you through the process. Eco-Schools is a flexible, inclusive programme, enabling you to choose projects, activities, campaigns and initiatives that will fit with your school's circumstances, interests and goals.
The nine topics defined by the programme are litter, waste and recycling, energy (compulsory), water, transport, school grounds, biodiversity, global perspective and healthy living.
Does it cost anything?
There are no costs attached to joining and progressing through the Bronze and Silver awards which are self-assessed. To achieve full Green Flag Eco-Schools status your school will complete an online application and receive a visit from an Eco-Schools assessor. There is a £200 cost to
cover this process.