New photo ID requirements

Photo ID required to vote at polling stations

The UK Government has introduced a new requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station. Please make sure you take a suitable form of photo ID with you. The most commonly used ID include:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Photographic driver’s licence issued by the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional)
  • European Economic Area (EEA) photographic ID Card
  • UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (PASS card)*
  • Blue Badge
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Concessionary travel pass funded by HM Government or local authority (such as Hampshire County Council Bus Pass; Disabled Person's Bus Pass, Welsh or Northern Ireland travel card).

Only original documents are accepted; scanned images or copies will not be accepted however expired documents are accepted if the photo is still a current likeness.

If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID

If you do not have any of the accepted photo ID, or your ID no longer looks like you, you will need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. This is a free photographic identification document specifically for the purposes of voting. You must be registered to vote to use this service.

Please note, you do not need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if you are voting by post. Identification is only required if you intend to vote in person at a polling station.

Voters who do not produce a Voter Authority Certificates, or valid ID will not be allowed to vote on the day.

Your new look poll card will be issued in good time for the election and will arrive in an envelope addressed to you. Acceptable forms of identification will be listed on your poll card.