What is self-build housing?
Self-build is when you design, plan and build your own home. The level of involvement you have in building your home can vary depending on which way you choose. Self-builders may be individuals or part of a group.
Registering your interest
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act (2015) places a duty on councils to keep a register of individuals and community groups locally who want to acquire land for self-build homes and to have regard to these registers in carrying out its planning function.
This register of interest enables Eastleigh Borough Council to gather evidence to assess the demand for this type of development within the borough. If we become aware of land that may be suitable for self or custom build it will highlight this register to the landowner/agent. The annual monitoring report includes information on the number of people on the register.
Please note that self-build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes.
To be included on the register please contact us below with the following details:
- Title, name, address and email address
- Whether you are acting as an individual, or on behalf of an association of individuals. If you are an individual, please confirm your age and nationality
- The nature of the self-build project you are interested in - Individual plot; Individual serviced plot as part of a larger self-build site (provided by a developer, local authority or landlord); Community led/collective Self-build projects, such as Community Land Trusts or co-housing projects; Eco-homes; or not sure yet
- What you want to build: Detached house, semi-detached, terraced, flat or maisonette as part of a 'group' self-build project
- What size of home do you want to build - number of bedrooms, garden, garage or parking
- Where you wish to build the self-build project described above - Do you own the land? If so please provide a map or plan identifying the boundary in red. If not where do you wish to build (specific locations or the name of the general locality), what size plot do you require, what is your budget ,when do you wish to start or acquire the land and do you intend to occupy the house once it is built
- Whether you have any local connection to the area you intend to build - do you live or work or have family connections to the area?
- What finances do you have in place for this self-build project – how do you intend to raise any additional funds necessary?
- Are you interested in: full ownership/shared equity/rental
- What you have done to progress the self-build project to date
- What additional help would be useful to progress the self-build project