Other open spaces in Eastleigh
From Hiltingbury Lakes to Telegraph Woods, Eastleigh is rich in open space
The predominant features of this seven hectare site in Chandler's Ford are water and woodland, with the lakes covering nearly two acres. Interspersed with the pine woodlands are oak and hazel trees, which are home to many common species of bird and mammal. Waterfowl including mallard and moorhen nest on protected parts of the bank and island.
For fishing enquiries and permits contact: Home Stores Tackle
Tel: 023 8055 1974
Visitor facilities: Footpaths and information panels. Fishing by annual permit
Parking: Lake Road or Lakewood Road
The name "Ram Alley" appears in maps and documents as far back as the 16th Century. Cherries were harvested here during the 17th 19th centuries, and wild cherry trees can still be seen in the copse.
The ancient art of coppicing has probably been practiced here since medieval times and still continues today, producing a rich mosaic of different habitats. The sheltered glades of the copse attract many butterflies, whilst birds nest among the denser thickets.
Visitor facilities: Information panels and footpaths
Parking: Ramalley Lane
Hound Corner Ecology Park
This one hectare park was developed with the help of local volunteers from what was derelict land. The site contains an established wildflower meadow, a pond which is home to smooth newts and a butterfly garden. During the spring, migrating nightingales have been heard singing from deep within the scrub along with the many common birds which visit the site.
Parking: in cemetery lay-by on Hound Road
This beautiful 19 hectare area of woodland features Douglas firs and sweet chestnut coppice as well as patches of heath-land, a variety of habitats and a rich diversity of plants and animals. Roe deer which inhabit the wood can sometimes be seen feeding in the surrounding fields.
Near the Telegraph Road entrance to the wood, the remains of an Armada beacon can still be seen, marked by a perfectly circular bank. Further east is the site of an Iron Age Fort dating back to 600BC. With its way-marked paths, picnic tables and spectacular views, Telegraph Woods is a lovely place to spend time.
Parking: Lay-bys on Telegraph Road or Moorhill Road
Boyatt Wood today is a small remnant of the once much larger wood shown on old maps. The wood harbours wildflowers such as bluebells, wood anemones and violets.
The main footpath through the wood is also a high voltage cable route maintained by the National Grid. This means that tree growth below the cables has to be controlled for safety reasons, but on sunny summer days this grassy ride attracts many types of butterfly such as peacock, red admiral and common blue.
Parking: Residential streets off Woodside Avenue
Avenue Park,a 5.4 hectare site was once part of North Stoneham Park, owned by the Fleming family. At its prime, the Park would have been over 400 acres. In 1775, Sir John Fleming engaged the services of the famous landscape architect, Lancelot "Capability" Brown to redesign the park.
The Park is home to The Stoneham War Shrine, erected in 1918 and restored in 2011 to commemorate those who served and died in the Great War of 1914-1919. Much of the parkland remains intact, and is now a haven for wildlife with its rich flower meadows, large old trees and water features. This area is now conservation grazed during part of the year.
Parking: Doncaster Sports Pavilion Car Park, off Chestnut Avenue