Utility works road closures
Applying for a road closure to carry out utility work
We act as agent to Hampshire County Council (the Highway Authority) to authorise a road closure to allow works to take place on the public highway.
If you wish to close a road, simply complete an application form and return it to us as soon as possible. Remember to include a plan showing the road(s) to be closed, any diversion route, and what road signs will be put up. If you’re not sure whether you need a road closure, please contact us to discuss your needs.
When you apply for a road closure, please note that:
- We require a minimum of six weeks' notice to process a road closure – in extreme circumstances we may be able to consider shorter timeframe.
- You will have to pay a fee, our charges are:
- Standard Notice (longer than 6 weeks' notice and inclusive of 2 adverts) £1375 + VAT
- Rapid Response Service (less than 6 weeks' notice and inclusive of 2 adverts) £1990 + VAT
- Emergency Road Closure £340 + VAT
- We make it legal for you to close the road – it will be up to you to physically close it.
- You must ensure that the closure is carried out safely, and in line with the relevant legislation – in particular Traffic Signs Manual Chapter eight and the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
- Access to premises within the closure are required to be maintained at all times
- Advance warning signs at both ends of the closure to be erected at least one week prior to the start of your works
- All residents and businesses directly affected to be informed in writing prior to the closure taking effect
- Bus companies to be informed of the dates of works if closure is on a bus route
- Our Direct Services Unit to be contacted if refuse vehicles unable to access properties within the closure
- If you are going to dig up the road, you will need a license from the County Council – see their Highway Licenses page
We cannot close Rights of Way or private roads for you. If you wish to close a Right of Way, such as a footpath or bridleway, see Rights of Way Temporary Closures on the Hampshire County Council website.