Road Closures for Community Events

Apply to close a road for a community event

We act as agent to Hampshire County Council (the Highway Authority) to authorise a road closure to ensure safety at a community sporting or social event on the public highway. 

If you wish to close a road, please complete the appropriate form below and return it to us as soon as possible. Remember to include a plan showing the road(s) to be closed, any diversion route, and what road signs will be put up.

If you’re not sure whether you need a road closure, please contact us to discuss your needs. 

When you apply for a road closure, please note that:

  • We need at least 12 weeks to process a road closure for a community event 
  • You will have to pay a fee, unless your event is approved and supported by the Local Area Committee.
  • We make it legal for you to close the road – it will be up to you to physically close it
  • You must ensure that the closure is carried out safely, and in line with the relevant legislation – in particular, Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8 and the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
  • Access to premises within the closure are required to be maintained at all times
  • Advance warning signs at both ends of the closure to be erected at least one week prior to the start of your works
  • All residents and businesses directly affected to be informed in writing prior to the closure taking effect
  • Bus companies to be informed of the dates of works if closure is on a bus route
  • Our Direct Services Unit to be contacted if refuse vehicles unable to access properties within the closure
  • Hampshire County Council give more advice on what you need to do 

Organisers will need to consider private traffic management companies, security contracts or other competent personnel.  Events will be assessed on a case by case basis and it is advised that you email Hampshire Constabulary for further information or telephone 101, extension no. 711278 

We cannot close Rights of Way or private roads for you. If you wish to close a Right of Way, such as a footpath or bridleway, see Rights of Way Temporary Closures on the Hampshire County Council website. 

Information on temporary road closures in the Borough