Helping to keep our bin crews safe
Eastleigh Borough Council’s bin crews have changed the way they work to help keep the service running during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Household waste collections are an essential public service identified by the Government and current Government advice for workers providing essential services is to keep to the two metre social distancing rule to limit contact with other people.
Advice for employees where it isn’t possible to keep to the distance rule is for the employer to put all necessary precautions in place to protect the workforce and people they might come into contact with.
A series of changes are now in place to help keep bin crews safe including:
- Only two crew will be in the cab – one driver and one loader
- A third crew member will follow in a separate vehicle
- Extra cleaning of surfaces that staff regularly touch
- Disinfecting of vehicle cabs with hand sanitisers and wipes in each
- Extra gloves have been provided – face masks are not currently recommended for waste collection crews.
We are continually reviewing the risk assessments and precautions as the situation unfolds and will implement any further advice provided by Public Health England.
Council Leader Keith house said, “All organisations have been affected by Coronavirus and our bin crews are doing a great job providing a vital service in these challenging times. We’re doing everything we can to reduce the risk to them and the wider public and I hope people recognise the challenges our workforce faces.”
Residents can also do their bit to help keep our collection teams safe and here’s how:
- For people suffering with symptoms associated with coronavirus or self-isolating at home please ensure you double bag personal waste such as tissues and disposable cleaning cloths in smaller plastic bags and storing them for 72 hours before putting them in the black bin.
- Please disinfect bin handles regularly
- Wash your hands after handling your bins and boxes
- Please don’t leave extra bags of rubbish with your bin or boxes
- Park sensibly so our waste vehicles can access your road (this also means emergency services will have access too)
There are more details on the Government’s website at www.gov.uk/coronavirus.