information on gaming permits under the gambling act 2005
The Gambling Act 2005 provides for a number of different permits for various gambling activities, including gaming machines and prize gaming in alcohol licensed premises.
There are different categories of gaming machines covered by licences and permits.
Further information on different types of gaming machines, application form and the fees for different types of permits can be found at the bottom of this page.
Holders of permits for gaming machines are required to comply with codes of practice, drawn up by the Gambling Commission on the location and operation of machines. Information on these codes can be found on the Gambling Commission website.
Licensing authorities may only grant or reject an application for a permit. No conditions may be attached to a permit.
The types of permits that may be granted are as follows:
- Unlicensed family entertainment centre permit
- Club gaming permits and club machine permits
- Alcohol licensed premises gaming machine permits
- Prize gaming permits
In addition, licensing authorities are responsible for receiving, from owners of licensed premises, notifications that they intend to exercise their automatic entitlement to two gaming machines in their premises under section 282 of the Act.
Gambling permit documents
- Alcohol Licensed Premises - Application - Notification or Gaming Machine Permit
- Alcohol Licensed Premises - Guidance - Gaming Machine Permits
- Alcohol Licensed Premises - Application - Gaming Machine Permit Transfer
- Alcohol Licensed Premises - Application - Gaming Machine Permit Variation
- Club - Application - Gaming Permit or Machine Permit
- Family Entertainment Centre - Application - Permit
- Family Entertainment Centre - Guidance
Contact the Licensing Team
Please note that these functions are administered by Southampton City Council's licensing team on behalf of Eastleigh Borough Council.
Telephone: 023 8083 3002 (option 4, then option 2)
Fax: 023 8083 4061
Southampton and Eastleigh Licensing Partnership
Document Exchange: DX 115710 Southampton 17
Members of the Licensing Team are normally available on weekdays at the Civic Centre, Southampton, from 9am to 12pm and from 2pm to 4pm to assist personal callers.