Page last updated at 29 July 2015 at 13:41
Abandoned vehicles are those that are:
- Stationary for a significant amount of time
- Significantly damaged
- Run down or unroadworthy
- Burnt out
There are two ways to report a potentially abandoned vehicle and these are:-
- Report vehicle to the DVLA. You can contact their hotline on 08000 325202 or
- Notify Eastleigh Borough Council by ringing 023 8068 8329 or complete the online form
If you decide to report the vehicle to Eastleigh Borough Council we will need the following information before we can investigage the complaint:-
- Make and model of car.
- Registration Number.
- Colour of car.
- Is the car taxed, if not, when did the tax expire?
- Location of vehicle i.e. Road, Town, location in road, is it on public or private land?
- Your name, address and telephone number (this information is necessary to enable the process to be completed)
Please note -If a vehicle is taxed it is not considered to be abandoned in most cases. Please also see details on our "New Tax Disc Rules" page. If the vehicle is parked in an unsafe/illegal manner and/or causing an obstruction the Police should be informed.
If the vehicle is found to be abandoned, a notice will be issued notifying the owner that they have either 24 hours, 7 days or 14 days to remove the vehicle depending on the state of the vehicle and its location.
Abandoned vehicles that are on private property are the responsibility of the landowner and they will have to make their own arrangements for the removal of such vehicles at their own expense.
The legislation that empowers Eastleigh Borough Council to remove abandoned vehicles comes under Sections 11 - 17 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005:
- Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978 - Sections 2 - 5
- Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - Sections 99 - 103
- Removal and Disposal of Vehicles Rgulations 1986 (s1 1986/183)
The legislation places an onus on local authorities to remove motor vehicles that are abandoned without lawful authority on any land in the 'open air' or any other land forming part of a highway.