Council shortlisted in 'Active Workplace' category
Page last updated at 13 March 2017 at 14:57
Eastleigh Borough Council has been shortlisted in the ‘Active Workplace’ category for the brand new Energise Me Awards 2017.
The Energise Me Awards celebrate everything sport, coaching or volunteering that is happening across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight with a focus on performance, participation and passion.
The Active Workplace award looks to recognise a workplace that has developed an effective workplace health programme, to support and encourage increased physical activity levels among its employees. A workplace should help motivate and allow its staff to improve their health and wellbeing at work in a variety of ways.
The Council has been recognised for a number of initiatives including;
- developing a travel plan encouraging car-free travel to work since 1999, making it one of the longest running Travel Plans in existence
- all the council’s main sites have covered good quality cycle parking
- a range of measures to encourage staff to cycle to work and cycling promotions such as supporting national Bike to work day , a bike maintenance service, pool bikes and a mileage claim for using bikes for work trips
- a car club in Eastleigh town centre providing four vehicles for use as pool cars by Council staff and the community. There are two zero emission electric and two ultra-low emission hybrid cars
- the Healthy Communities Team offering various sport and exercise based activities to encourage staff to be active during the working day
- regular staff discovery days at Fleming Park Leisure Centre to encourage staff to try out gym, swim and exercise classes and annual health checks for staff
The award recognises workplaces that committed to the workplace activity agenda.
Cabinet Lead for Wellbeing, Cllr Alan Broadhurst said: “I’m delighted that the Council has been recognised for its efforts in helping to encourage staff to be healthier and more active and to reduce the number of staff using their cars for work.”
Winners will be announced at the ceremony on Thursday 30 March at St Mary’s Stadium in Southampton where the guest speaker will be BBC Sports Personality of the Year Helen Rollason Award 2016 winner, Ben Smith.
View the complete shortlist online