Information for referrers
If you are a GP, Nurse, Physiotherapist or other health care professional and feel that a patient of yours would benefit from becoming more physically active you can refer them to the HealthWorks scheme.
Referred patients must be over the age of 16 and have one of the following:
- An existing medical condition that would benefit from being more physically active (e.g. pulmonary, cardiac, mental health, cancer, neurological).
- Live a sedentary or physically inactive lifestyle
- At risk of Coronary Heart Disease (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity).
Patients are NOT suitable for referral if they have any of the following:
- Unstable angina
- Unstable hypertension
- Unstable diabetes
- Unstable and or severe mental health problem
- Early post cardiac event (myocardial infarction/ coronary artery bypass graft/angioplasty), prior to completing Phase III Cardiac Rehabilitation.
You can refer patients by completing a Referral for Exercise. You can request to have a referral pad which we can send out to you or alternatively you can download a copy of the form. The completed referral form should then be given to the patient to bring along to their appointment, which they will need to book by contacting the HealthWorks office/leisure centre of choice.