Frequently Asked Questions
Common questions asked about the scheme and what you can expect from the service
How do I access the scheme?
To access the scheme you must be over the age of 16 and have one of the following:
- An existing medical condition that would benefit from being more physically active (e.g. pulmonary, cardiac, mental health, cancer, neurological),
- live a sedentary or physically inactive lifestyle,
- be at risk of Coronary Heart Disease (e.g. high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity).
If you have one of the above you can ask your healthcare professional for a referral onto the scheme and if they are in agreement they can provide you with a HealthWorks referral form. You will need to contact HealthWorks to book an appointment.
You can self refer onto the scheme by completing the below form:
What happens at my first appointment and how long does it last?
At your first appointment you will meet with a member of the HealthWorks team to go through a pre-exercise questionnaire and discuss the different activities available. We will work with you to set realistic goals and work through an action plan. If the gym is something you would like to try then we will set you up with a personalised programme taking into account your medical conditions and reason for referral.
Your first appointment can take anywhere between 30 to 90 minutes, which will vary depending on your reason for referral and whether or not you would like a gym programme. We will discuss this briefly when you book your appointment, and advise on how long your appointment will be.
Throughout the 12 week programme you will have access to ongoing support and receive follow-ups/reviews at 6 and 12 weeks.
How much does it cost?
Your first appointment, follow up appointments and design of your programme are free services.
The use of the facilities are not free of charge, but HealthWorks referrals receive a discounted rate for activities that fall under the scheme.
What activities are available?
at Places Leisure Eastleigh:
- Gym Workout - Equipment includes the latest cardiovascular and resistance machines on which you will be given full instruction and a personal programme.
- Gym Support Sessions - A member of the HealthWorks team will be on hand to help. Please enquire for days and times.
- Deep Water Aqua Therapy - A no impact class ideal for those with back problems, arthritis, or recovering from injury.
- Swimming - The 25m main pool is used for a mixture of general and lane swimming.
- HealthWorks Exercise Classes
- Cancer Physical Activity Scheme
- Health Walks
HealthWorks also operate from Wildern Leisure Centre, Hedge End. Activities available include gym workout, aqua therapy and swimming.
I've completed my 12 weeks, what next?
Once you have completed your 12 weeks you can remain on the scheme for a further year as a graduate user, with ongoing support from the HealthWorks team.