Become a countryside volunteer
Find out about volunteering with us
If you love wildlife, being outdoors and are the type of person who longs to be messy in the mud, then being an Eastleigh Countryside Volunteer could be for you.
There are so many benefits to becoming a Countryside Volunteer. It can be a lovely way to make new friends, learn new skills and above all - it's great fun!
Our habitat management work is carried out in the winter and includes: coppicing in our beautiful woodland nature reserve; scrub bashing on our meadows and wetlands; cutting and burning non-native invasive plants and much more.
In the summer we focus on infrastructure projects such as repairing benches, fence lines and gravel paths. If you don’t want to do practical work, you could help out with our wildlife surveys like the weekly butterfly transect which start every April.
You must complete registration and notify us of your attendance prior to coming along to a Countryside Volunteer event
Volunteering at Itchen Valley Country Park and around the Eastleigh Borough
- Tasks are advertised in the newsletter that is published every three months and are carried out on a number of sites in the Borough - usually on the third Sunday of each month (any changes will be notified in the newsletter or by email).
- 10am start, finish between 3pm and 4pm (depending on the job), with a break for tea, coffee and biscuits, and a lunch break around 12.30pm. You are welcome to come for all or part of a day.
(The only exception being when tasks are at Itchen Valley Country Park when volunteers are welcome to meet at the Woodland Café between 09:30 and 10am for tea or coffee and a chat before work starts.)
Volunteering at Lakeside Country Park
- A practical task is organised by a Countryside Officer every Wednesday morning at Lakeside Country Park.
Volunteering at Lakeside is so popular we have been at capacity for some time, we are currently operating a waiting list, but we cannot guarantee when a space may become available.
Volunteering at Hiltingbury Lakes
- A practical task every Thursday 10am - 3pm at Hiltingbury Lakes
*On the second Thursday of the month volunteer days will move to our nearby Hocombe Mead Local Nature Reserve to work alongside the Friends of Hocombe Mead on their task days.
Want to volunteer?
- Volunteers must be over 16 years of age. Under 18s must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- Find out more about Eastleigh Countryside Volunteers by reading the Volunteer Guidelines
- Read about the latest opportunities and updates in our three-monthly newsletter
- Complete and return the Volunteer Registration Form
Please contact Joe Josef.Hrastelj@eastleigh.gov.uk, if you have any queries