You can self refer or if you are a GP, Nurse, Physiotherapist or other healthcare professional and feel that a patient of yours would benefit from becoming more physically active you can refer them to the HealthWorks scheme.
To access the scheme, the person to be referred must be over the age of 16 and:
- have an existing medical condition that could be improved by being more physically active (e.g. mental health, cancer or neurological/pulmonary/cardiac)
- live a ‘sedentary’ or physically inactive lifestyle
- are at risk of Coronary Heart Disease (e.g. high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity)
Those with the following are not suitable for referral:
- Unstable angina
- Unstable hypertension
- Unstable diabetes
- Unstable/severe mental health problem
- Early post cardiac event (myocardial infarction/ coronary artery bypass graft/angioplasty), prior to completing Phase III Cardiac Rehabilitation.
Healthcare professionals can refer patients by completing a Referral for Exercise form. You can request to have a referral pad sent out to you if you wish. The completed referral form should then be given to the patient to bring along to their appointment, which they will need to book by contacting HealthWorks.
A Borough resident can self-refer using the Self-Referral for Physical Activity form. Once you have sent in your referral form, please contact HealthWorks to book your initial consultation.