HealthWorks at Eastleigh Borough
Page last updated at 10 February 2017 at 13:25
What is HealthWorks?
Healthworks is a 12 week physical activity referral scheme designed to provide opportunities for people to improve their health and become more active. The scheme, based at Fleming Park Leisure Centre, is an NHS - endorsed Accredited Scheme at Silver Level. This means the scheme is a Recognised Scheme of Excellence providing a high quality of service.
You don't have to be sporty to be fit!
Your own fitness level should meet the needs of your daily life. You should be able to climb the stairs, take a brisk walk and perform other daily activities without getting breathless or tired.
Regular structured physical activity will help you to:
- Strengthen your heart.
- Improve your circulation.
- Lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Control your weight.
- Decrease your risk of developing or help with the management of chronic conditions such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
- Reduce stress and make you feel better about yourself.
How do I access the scheme?
To access the scheme you must be over the age of 16 and have one of the following:
- An existing medical condition that would benefit from being more physically active (e.g. pulmonary, cardiac, mental health, cancer, neurological).
- Live a sedentary or physically inactive lifestyle.
- At risk of Coronary Heart Disease (e.g. high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity).
If you meet the above you can ask your healthcare professional e.g. GP/Nurse for a referral onto the scheme and if they feel it is appropriate they will issue you with a HealthWorks referral form. Once you have this you will need to contact HealthWorks to book an appointment.
You can also self refer onto the scheme. Download the HealthWorks Self Referral Form for more information.
What happens at my first appointment and how long does it take?
At your first appointment you will meet with a member of the HealthWorks team to go through a pre-exercise questionnaire and discuss the different activities available. We will work with you to set realistic goals and work through an action plan of how you feel you can achieve these. If the gym is something you would like to try then we will set you up with a personalised programme taking into account your medical conditions and reason for referral.
Your first appointment can take anywhere between 30 to 90 mins, which will vary depending on your reason for referral and whether or not you would like a gym programme. We will discuss this briefly when you book your appointment, and advise on how long your appointment will be.
Throughout the 12 week programme you will have access to ongoing support along with follow-ups/reviews at 6 and 12 weeks.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost for your first appointment, follow up appointments or design of your programme. The use of the facilities however are not free of charge, but HealthWorks referrals receive a discounted rate for activities that fall under the scheme.
What activities are available?
Fleming Park Leisure Centre, Eastleigh:
- Gym Workout - Equipment includes the latest cardiovascular and resistance machines on which you will be given full instruction and a personal programme.
- Gym Support Sessions - A member of the HealthWorks team will be on hand to help. Please enquire for days and times.
- Deep Water Aqua Therapy - A no impact class ideal for those with back problems, arthritis, or recovering from injury.
- Swimming - The 25m main pool is used for a mixture of general and lane swimming.
- Exercise Classes
- Cancer Physical Activity Scheme
- Health Walks
HealthWorks also operate from Wildern Leisure Centre, Hedge End. Activities available include gym workout, aqua therapy and swimming.
I've completed my 12 weeks, what next?
Once you have completed your 12 weeks you can remain on the scheme for a further year as a graduate user, with ongoing support from the HealthWorks team.
To book an appointment or for more information please contact HealthWorks on 023 8068 4813 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.