Frequently asked questions

about land charges

Who carries out the local land charges search?
Search requests are usually received from the Solicitor or Licensed Conveyancer acting for the purchaser of a property. Personal Search Companies also make searches and anyone can make a search if they submit their request on the correct forms.  The LLC1 and CON29 forms are available from Legal stationers.  

How can I be sure that a property lies within the Eastleigh Borough boundary?
If you do not have access to a suitable plan, call us on 023 8068 8000 and we will endeavour to help you.  

How long will it take to process my search?
10 working days. Our staff are working very hard to keep turnaround times as short as possible, however due to the high volumes currently being received as a result of the stamp duty holiday, process times may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience while we work as quickly as we can to complete your search.  

How many forms do I need to submit?
The LLC1 and Con29 forms should be submitted in duplicate when sending in a postal request.  

Do I need to send you any plans of the property?
We require 2 copies of the plan with the property to be searched on clearly marked in red.  

Does a commercial search cost more than a residential search?
The fee is the same.  

What is a personal search?
A personal search is an inspection of the local land charges register. From this search we are able to supply you with a copy of the registered land charges that affect your property.     

Who do I make my cheques payable to?
Eastleigh Borough Council  

Can I submit a Client's cheque?
We accept client's cheques.  

Are you on the DX system?
You can send your search to us at DX122381 EASTLEIGH 2  

Do you answer Drainage enquiries?

We do not, please contact:

The Land Search Team Southern Water, Southern House, Capstone Road, Chatham, Kent ME5 7QA
DX 400450 Chatham S.
Telephone: 01634 824100
Fax 01634 844514

Will the road information reply tell me if all the roads abutting my property are adopted?

Our search reply will refer to the road named in the property address given in Box B on the CON29 form. If you wish to have information regarding any other roads that abut your property you will need to name them in Box C and clearly mark them on your search plan.  

Do I send my Commons Registration Search to you?

Can Land Charges tell me who owns a certain property or piece of land?
You will need to make application to:  

The Weymouth District Land Registry Melcombe Court, 1 Cumberland Drive, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 9TT.
Telephone 01305 363636