Page last updated at 11 March 2016 at 12:18
Applying for a Road Closure to carry out work
Eastleigh Borough Council (EBC) acting as agent to Hampshire County Council (the Highway Authority) can authorise a road closure to allow works to take place on the public highway.
If you wish to close a road, simply complete the Application Form and return it to us as soon as possible. Remember to include a plan showing the road(s) to be closed, any diversion route, and what road signs will be put up. If you’re not sure whether you need a road closure, please contact us to discuss your needs.
Telephone: 023 8068 8068 / email:email@example.com
When you apply for a road closure, please note that:
- We need at least six weeks to process a road closure –preferably longer.
- You will have to pay a fee – we will advise you how much when you apply.
- We make it legal for you to close the road – it will be up to you to physically close it.
- You must ensure that the closure is carried out safely, and in line with the relevant legislation – in particular Chapter Eight of the Traffic Signs Manual and the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
- Access to premises within the closure are required to be maintained at all times
- Advance warning signs at both ends of the closure to be erected at least one week prior to the start of your works
- All residents and businesses directly affected to be informed in writing prior to the closure taking effect
- Bus companies to be informed of the dates of works if closure is on a bus route
- Our Direct Services Unit to be contacted if refuse vehicles unable to access properties within the closure
- If you are going to dig up the road, you will need a license from the County Council – see their Highway Licenses page
We cannot close Rights of Way or private roads for you. If you wish to close a Right of Way, such as a footpath or bridleway, see Rights of Way Temporary Closures on the Hampshire County Council website.
Contact usTransportation & Engineering, Eastleigh Borough Council, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh SO50 9YN Telephone: 023 8068 8068 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org