Road Closures for Community Events

Street parties

Page last updated at 16 March 2016 at 10:22

Road Closures for Community Events

Eastleigh Borough Council (EBC) acting as agent to Hampshire County Council (the Highway Authority) can authorise a road closure to ensure safety at a community sporting or social event on the public highway. 

If you wish to close a road, simply complete the appropriate form below and return it to us as soon as possible. Remember to include a plan showing the road(s) to be closed, any diversion route, and what road signs will be put up. If you’re not sure whether you need a road closure, please contact us to discuss your needs. 

Telephone: 023 8068 8068 / 

When you apply for a road closure, please note that:

  • We need at least two months to process a road closure for a community event – preferably longer.
  • You will have to pay a fee your closure, unless your event is approved and supported by the Local Area Committee – we will advise you how much when you apply.
  • We make it legal for you to close the road – it will be up to you to physically close it.
  • You must ensure that the closure is carried out safely, and in line with the relevant legislation – in particular Chapter Eight of the Traffic Signs Manual and the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
  • Access to premises within the closure are required to be maintained at all times
  • Advance warning signs at both ends of the closure to be erected at least one week prior to the start of your works
  • All residents and businesses directly affected to be informed in writing prior to the closure taking effect
  • Bus companies to be informed of the dates of works if closure is on a bus route
  • Our Direct Services Unit to be contacted if refuse vehicles unable to access properties within the closure
  • Hampshire County Council give more advice on what you need to do 

Hampshire Constabulary has indicated that they will be attend fewer events in future and organisers will need to consider private traffic management companies, security contracts or other competent personnel.  Events will be assessed on a case by case basis and it is advised that you contact Hampshire Constabulary for further information at or telephone 101, extension no. 711278 

We cannot close Rights of Way or private roads for you. If you wish to close a Right of Way, such as a footpath or bridleway, see Rights of Way Temporary Closures on the Hampshire County Council website. 

Contact usTransportation & Engineering, Eastleigh Borough Council, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh SO50 9YN Telephone: 023 8068 8068 Email: