Page last updated at 16 February 2016 at 09:25
A healthy diet is essential for good health and will help you manage your weight. But what is a healthy diet?
The government has set out eight guidelines to help us achieve this:
- Enjoy your food
- Eat a variety of different food
- Eat the right amount to be a healthy weight
- Eat plenty of foods rich in starch and fibre
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Don't eat too many foods that contain a lot of fat
- Don't have sugary foods and drinks too often
- If you drink alcohol, drink sensibly
The Balance of Good Health demonstrates the variety of foods that we should be eating and can be applied to all healthy individuals over the age of 5.
The following websites provide further information
Change 4 Life Sugar Smart App Let's get Sugar Smart. Download this app for tips, vouchers and recipes.
We're all having too much sugar. Our kids might seem fine on the outside, but too much sugar can cause tooth decay and lead to the build up of harmful fat on the inside that we can't see. This fat around their vital organs can cause serious disease in the future.
Change 4 Life
Help for families to eat well, move more and live longer, happier lives
British Nutrition Foundation Advice and tips on how to put healthy eating and healthy lifestyles into practice for life
British Heart Foundation Beating heart disease together