Page last updated at 11 June 2015 at 15:02
Meals On Wheels
The Meals on Wheels service in the borough of Eastleigh is now run by Hampshire County Council. From 1 April 2013 the service is being provided by a company called 'apetito'. Meals are now available to residents over 55 meeting one of the following criteria, as well as those with an assessed need.
- They are finding it difficult to cook for themselves
- They have just come out of hospital
- They are caring for someone else and need a break from cooking
- They are feeling unwell, either physically or mentally
- They cannot get out to the shops
Apetito will deliver a hot two course meal. Customers are able to choose from a menu of 4 options. Special dietary requirements including medical and faith needs are also catered for.
Customers can choose their meals to be delivered on as many days of the week as they like.
The meals will cost £3.60 a day for all new customers.
Apetito’s delivery drivers are able to plate up, ensure they have a drink and in some cases cut up food for customers who need additional help. They are not able to assist with feeding individuals. Delivery drivers are CRB checked and trained to carry out short wellbeing checks with each customer at every delivery. If they identify a problem they know how to escalate it appropriately.
If you would like further information please contact 01962 779338 or visit http://www3.hants.gov.uk/meals-on-wheels
Making a Meals on Wheels referral
Referrals can be made by an individual, a family member or neighbour (with permission) and relevant professionals e.g. GP’s nurses, adult services, district council and housing association staff. Referrals can only be made through the completion of an online form
Cancelling a Meals on Wheels referral
All cancellations must be made directly to apetito. Tel: 01962 779338 or email email@example.com There is an answer machine for out of office hour messages.
Food and Friendship volunteer led befriending service
- Launching alongside meals on wheels is a volunteer led befriending service Food and Friendship ,which is coordinated by Age Concern Hampshire.
- Any existing customer or any new customer who has received a meals on wheels for 2 weeks can request a regular volunteer visit.
- Regular means every week, fortnight, month but not daily.
- The volunteers will stay for at least 30 minutes and will spend time chatting with the client but will also provide ideas for healthy eating and what’s available from their local community if they require it.
- The volunteers will not provide any personal care.
How to make a Food and Friendship referral
These are also made via the online form and the necessary details are sent securely to Age Concern Hampshire. Age Concern Hampshire will have service level agreements in place with local voluntary organisations who will provide the regular visits.
If a cause for concern, cancellation etc is identified through their visit all information is passed back to apetito to administer.
The referral process will be reviewed after three months.