Anti-social Behaviour

Page last updated at 11 June 2015 at 14:18

Anti-social Behaviour

What is anti-social behaviour?

The term anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of unacceptable acts that can really damage the quality of life for individuals and communities. Terms such as ‘nuisance', ‘disorder' and ‘harassment' are also often used to describe this type of behaviour.

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 defines anti-social behaviour as being when a person has acted in an anti-social manner, that is to say, in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as themselves.

Examples could include: 

  • Nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • Street drinking
  • Environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish and abandonment of cars
  • Prostitution related activity
  • Begging and vagrancy
  • Fireworks misuse
  • Inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles

Our Approach to Anti-social Behaviour

We believe in an early intervention approach to ASB that avoids unnecessarily drawing young people into he criminal justice system unnecessarily. We adopt an approach that gives people the opportunity to change their behaviour. We do, however, deal robustly with repeated or serious behaviour that damages peoples quality of life.

Our Promise to You: Minimum Standards you can expect from us

Our Process for dealing with Antisocial Behaviour

Frequently Asked Questions

Anti-social behaviour, What is it?

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 defines anti-social behaviour as 'acting in a manner that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the complainant'.

Are my reports of anti-social behaviour confidential?

Yes. You do not have to worry about anyone finding out who you are.

If you are a victim or witness of anti-social behaviour, you can give evidence but stay anonymous.

A police officer or other professional witness (e.g. a council official, health worker, teacher or doctor) can also give evidence in court on behalf of a vulnerable witness.


How do I report anti-social behaviour?

There are a number of ways to report anti-social behaviour (link)

If I report it, what can you do about anti-social behaviour?

We take reports of anti-social behaviour seriously and tackle them in a range of ways. We get involved at an early stage. This is called intervention.

Early interventions, such as early warnings, visits and letters are very important in stopping any problems getting worse.

The purpose of any intervention is to:

  • Protect victims, witnesses and the community
  • Help the person responsible for the problem to recognise the result of their behaviour
  • Make sure the person responsible changes their behaviour

Measures that can be used by Eastleigh Borough Council, the police and our partners against the person responsible include:

  • Warning letters and interviews or Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs)
  • Parenting Orders, Parenting Programmes working with the whole family
  • Noise Abatement Notices, Injunctions (ASBIs), Dispersal powers and Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs)
  • Premises closure orders
  • Demotion Orders, Possession proceedings against a tenant.

The most effective interventions help individuals improve their behaviour. When taking action against the people responsible, we can also consider whether improvements are needed to your neighbourhood, with upgraded lighting or fencing, or other enhancements.

If you would like more information about any of these interventions, please contact the Anti-Social Behaviour Team using the contact details at the foot of this page.

What can I do to make sure my child is behaving responsibly?

Being a parent is not always easy - but we know that using good parenting skills can improve your child’s life chances and reduce bad behaviour.

When your child is not with you, think about the following questions:

  • Do you know where your child is?
  • Do you know who they are with?
  • Do you know what they are doing?
  • Have they been drinking?

Your support as a parent or guardian helps us. We can deal with the problems of juvenile nuisance and anti-social behaviour more effectively.

If you would like more information on parenting issues around anti-social behaviour, please contact us using the contact details at the foot of this page.

What does the Council do to assist parents when their child is not behaving responsibly?

We can put parens in touch with experts who work with parents and carers to prevent young people from committing anti-social behaviour. They can refer families to appropriate one-to-one and group parenting programmes and offer support by linking families with other agencies.

Parenting experts can also advise on appropriate support or enforcement for parents who have been contacted by the Community Safety Team. They help to generally improve parenting provision and build respect in the communities of Eastleigh.

If you would like more information please contact us via the Council's Switchboard on 0238068000 or email

What happens when I report anti-social behaviour?

We can only make a case against anyone accused of anti-social behaviour with your help and if we have sufficient evidence.

If you are reporting an ongoing problem, one of our team of partners may call you to talk about the problems in more detail. They may take a statement from you or you may be given diary sheets to record the details of the behaviour as it happens. If the anti-social behaviour is serious the police may be involved. 

What is an Anti Social Behaviour Order (ASBO)/Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC)?

When a person has shown anti-social behaviour for six months and when the court believes that a person will not stop behaving in this way, they may be given an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO). It is a civil order that protects the public. Anyone aged ten or over can be given an ASBO. ASBOs are not meant to punish the person and do not appear on their criminal record. If the order is broken it is a criminal offence.

If a person is involved in low-level anti-social behaviour and has been warned before, they may be given an Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC). An ABC is a voluntary written agreement between the police or council and the offender. An ABC outlines what the person should or should not do and what will happen if the agreement is broken.

We have recently written our ASB Minimum Standards and our ASB Policy. These are currently in consultation with partners and will appear here in the coming weeks.