Food Premises Registration

Page last updated at 18 February 2016 at 14:42

Food Premises Registration / Approvals

Licence summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans. This will cover the vast majority of food businesses.

A summary of the regulations which apply to regulations

Some very specific types of food business (usually manufacturers) may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you think this may apply to your business you are strongly recommend to contact your local authority before completing an application form.

A summary of the regulation which apply to approvals

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in legislation

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Apply for registration of a food business establishment

Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations

Chilled Food Association

National Federation of Meat and Food Traders

Northern Ireland Food and Drink Association (NIFDA)

Scottish Food and Drink Federation (SFDF)