The superb sporting achievements of talented local people were recognised at the eighth annual Eastleigh Sports Awards held at the prestigious ballroom at the four-star hotel, Hilton at the Ageas Bowl.
The ceremony provided the opportunity to celebrate individual excellence, team achievement, as well as recognising those people who work tirelessly ‘behind the scenes’ to support local talent and provide opportunities for residents to lead an active lifestyle across the borough.
The awards evening was organised by Eastleigh’s Sport and Physical Activity Alliance (SPAA). Lou Gittens, Chair of the Eastleigh SPAA, and ex-Saint Francis Benali, the Alliance’s Official Ambassador officially opened the event, which was compered by former Hampshire cricketer and BBC Radio Solent presenter, Kevan James.
Lou Gittens, Chair of Eastleigh SPAA said “It’s great to celebrate such a wide range of sporting talent in the borough. We have so many talented sports people together with so many superb volunteers, officials and coaches. Without them we would not be able to produce such fantastic stars in the borough.”
The Winners of the Eastleigh Sports Awards 2017
- Volunteer of the year (2 winners) - Mark Newman and Michelle Cross
- Team of the Year - Stephanie Ricketts and Toula Raftapoulo
- Junior Sportsperson - Serena Vincent
- Disability Sportsperson - Mark Ridley
- Senior Sportsperson - Harry Ellis
- Sports Club of the Year - Lakeside Weightlifting
- Coach of the Year - Ben Vass
- Official of the Year - Kathryn Carver
- Project of the Year - Places Leisure Eastleigh Mum and Baby Programme
- Outstanding Personal Achievement - Keith Diaper
- Service to Sport (2 winners) - Reg Wilkinson and Paul Kirkpatrick