Eastleigh town centre is counting down to its Christmas Lights Switch-On & Family Fun Day this Saturday 16 November, ending with the popular Light Parade and a spectacular fireworks display.
The event, which gets under way at 11am, brings entertainment, Santa’s Grotto, live music, food and drink, and even a mini-farm for the children, to the main shopping centre. The grand Light Parade, featuring local bands, together with schools, theatre and community groups, begins at 5:15pm - with the switch-on of the lights at 6pm from the bandstand in the Leigh Road Recreation Ground.
A number of road closures will enable the event to take place: the main shopping streets will be closed to traffic all day (5am–9pm) to accommodate the Christmas market stalls. Other nearby roads will be closed from 4pm to give safe access to the large number of people expected to attend.
The following roads will be closed to motor traffic all day:
- Leigh Road between Desborough Road and High Street
- Market Street between Wells Place and Leigh Road
- High Street between Wells Place and Leigh Road
- Wells Place between Mitchell Road and Hanns Way (access to Wells Road will be permitted from Mitchell Road)
The following roads will be closed to motor traffic from 4pm until the end of the event (expected to be 7pm, but no later than 9pm):
- Leigh Road between Romsey Road and Desborough Road
- Desborough Road at its junction with Leigh Road
- Cranbury Road at its junction with Leigh Road
Some parking bays in Cranbury Road and Desborough Road will be suspended all day on Saturday 16 November to allow temporary passing places.