Canoeing, jog with your dog, Tai Chi and family yoga are just some of the exciting activities that are being offered to encourage more adults and families to get active in Eastleigh’s local parks and open spaces this summer.
Your Park is the latest initiative from Eastleigh Borough Council’s SportWorks Team, with the aim of improving the health and wellbeing of residents by offering low cost fitness activities in the Borough’s glorious parks and green spaces.
The programme, which is supported by Sport England, will showcase community parks as being a place where families and friends can get active for less. All activities will be led by qualified instructors and will be tailored for beginners and those currently doing little or no to exercise. Sessions will cost £3 for adults, £5 for a family of four.
Activities on offer at parks and open spaces across the Borough are:
- Boxercise – A fun way to get a workout, incorporating solid boxing pad work with body conditioning exercises.
- Buggy Fit – A fitness session where new mums can exercise alongside their baby, with pushchairs of prams.
- Cardio Tennis – A non-traditional tennis lesson where participants hit tennis balls to music.
- Canoeing – A super way to get active on the water. No previous experience needed, all equipment provided.
- Family Fun – Fun games, sports day-style activities for families with children aged five-plus.
- Family Yoga – A superb way of improving flexibility and strength, this session is aimed at families with children aged five-plus.
- Jog with your Dog – Get active at your park together with your four-legged friend.
- Kettlercise – Discover how one piece of equipment can create a hugely effective all body work out.
- Outdoor Gym - Learn how to complete a circuit using outdoor gym equipment at the park.
- Park Fit – Get fit with this circuit-style fitness class.
- Pilates – Improve posture and toning muscles in this outdoor session.
- Tai Chi – Embrace the natural open space with this session that incorporates slow and gentle movements.
- Yoga – Improve wellbeing and all-round fitness in this outdoor session.
Eastleigh Borough Council’s cabinet member for Health and Wellbeing Cllr Tonia Craig said:
“There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that physical and mental wellbeing is greatly enhanced when people exercise outside in the fresh air. Your Park is about encouraging individuals and families to make the most of the Borough’s wonderful parks and open spaces, to highlight activities do not have to cost a lot of money and show you don’t need expensive pieces of equipment or the latest fitness gear. If you’re currently doing little or no exercise Your Park is a great opportunity to have a go at different activities, with the support of friendly and qualified instructors – and in a fun and informal way.”
Your Park runs from Monday, 30 July to Sunday, 26 August, at parks and open spaces across the Borough.
Activities must be booked in advance, with online bookings going live on Tuesday, 19 June.
With it promising to be a super sizzling summer, there really is no better time to take the first step to a healthier lifestyle while having fun in the great outdoors.
For more information about Your Park and how to book, visit www.eastleigh.gov.uk/YourPark