Celebrating its 14th year Eastleigh Borough Council’s popular Park Sport is back promising a summer of fun sporting activities for children aged eight to 16 years old – all for a £1 booking fee per session.
From basketball, cricket and fishing to golf, sailing and tennis Park Sport gives young people the opportunity to take part in a host of different activities over the summer holidays.
The programme, which is organised by Eastleigh Borough Council’s SportWorks Team and funded by Radian and Eastleigh Borough Council’s Local Area Committees, Parish and Town Councils, opens up a world of sporting possibilities for children across the borough.
Hosted by professional coaches and highly-qualified instructors from organisations including Saints Foundation, Team Extreme, Hamble River Sailing Club and British Cycling, Park Sport encourages children of all abilities to get active, learn new skills and try out new activities. No previous experience is required and, for most of the sessions, all equipment is provided.
Activities take place at 26 local parks and community facilities with more than 200 sessions available to book. Each session costs just £1, while swimming sessions are FREE.
This year’s Park Sport activities are:
- Basketball – Led by Solent Kestrels Basketball Club
- Cricket – Run by coaches from Hampshire Cricket in the Community
- Cycling – Bike agility courses with coaching from a qualified British Cycling ‘Pedal Planet’ coach
- Dance – Sessions are for boys and girls of all abilities
- Fishing – Taking place at Lakeside Country Park, led by qualified instructors from ‘For Life Experiences’
- Football – Run by football association coaches from the Saints Foundation
- Golf – Session delivered by golf pros from East Horton Golf Club
- Netball – Led by Ravens Netball Club
- Sailing – Hosted by Hamble River Sailing Club
- Skate Jams – Skateboarders, scooters and BMX led by Team Extreme
- Skateboard Coaching – sessions led by Team Rubicon
- Swimming – A free session
- Tennis – Sessions delivered by professional coaches
Eastleigh Borough Council’s cabinet member for Health and Wellbeing Cllr Tonia Craig said:
“’I’m delighted to be launching our 14th Park Sport initiative; it is testament to our commitment to the health and wellbeing of the young people of Eastleigh.
“Young people are our future – understanding and supporting their natural desire for physical activity will help lead them to a lifetime of happy and healthy living. If we give them opportunities to take part in activities in fun and relaxed ways through programmes like Park Sport, we are introducing them to the many benefits that come with physical activity such as increased confidence, stronger self-esteem, more energy, better memory and simply a good feeling about themselves.
“The beauty of Park Sport is that there are so many activities to try out, it’s inclusive, affordable –just £1 for a professionally-coached session – and lots of fun!”
Park Sport runs from Monday, 30 July to Friday, 31 August, at parks, open spaces and community facilities across the Borough.
Activities must be booked in advance, with online bookings going live on Monday, 2 July.
Please note: You must register your child in advance of any bookings (even if they have taken part in previous Park Sport events) and create an account. Registration is open from Wednesday, 20 June.
For more information about Park Sport and how to book, visit www.eastleigh.gov.uk/parksport