Café Manager - Itchen Valley Country Park
37 hours over 5 days with some weekends - £27,390 pa
No split shifts or evening work
Eastleigh Borough Council is an ambitious and progressive Council. We are recognised for our innovation and achievements, and for delivering high quality services to our customers and the community. We are constantly evolving and we have just completed a major transformation programme that has changed the way we work to ensure a smarter and more efficient approach to service delivery.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Café Manager to join the team at Itchen Valley Country Park
The new Woodland Café opened last August after a major refurbishment and expansion. It now offers 65 internal covers and another 70 in the outside areas.
The re-launch has been successful and the business is growing rapidly. We are now looking for an ambitious Café Manager to help us refine our offer and drive our commercial performance. Innovative ideas for attracting new audiences are key.
The new manager will lead on menu development and the associated service model to help make the café a key reason for visitors to come to Itchen Valley Country Park.
They will choose and manage our supplier network and most importantly ensure our fantastic staff team are skilled, organised and happy in their roles.
Our café is a friendly place to work and we are looking for a strong team player, with good communication skills who is willing to roll-up their sleeves and work alongside staff where necessary.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Visibly leading the management of the café and taking accountability for achievement of its financial targets.
- Ability to create innovative methods for increasing footfall and implementing these.
- Working with the head chef to plan menus and manage suppliers.
- Management of stock control systems and cost / pricing analysis.
- Analysing financial data to understand and respond to trends in sales figures.
- Creation of a first rate front of house system and delivery of consistently excellent service standards.
- All aspects of staff organisation, rotas, training and management.
- Compliance with HACCP and COSHH and food hygiene standards.
- Lead on waste management.
- Work with facilities colleagues to ensure the café and kitchen has an appropriate maintenance schedule.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Ideally, have GSCE pass grade 4 / C or above in English and Maths and must be numerate.
- Level 3 catering qualifications and experience working in a kitchen are desirable
- Proven experience in a busy cafe or restaurant environment, including experience in a supervisory or assistant manager role in a food or beverage setting.
- Have the ability to share with us, at interview, your vision for our café and how you will go about making that happen.
We are seeking an individual who demonstrates the following behaviours:
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Customer Service
- Personal Improvement
- Taking Responsibility and Achieving Results
- Working with others
- Financial and resource management
- Leading, motivating and developing
- Service delivery and continuous improvement
If you are excited by this opportunity and feel you have the skills, experience and attitude we are looking for we would love to hear from you.
At Eastleigh, we are committed to supporting and developing all our staff and creating a culture that is inclusive, innovative and enjoyable. We offer excellent opportunities for continuous professional development and support our staff in maintaining a good work life balance through our innovative flexi time system. We also have excellent package of benefits including:
24 - 27 days annual leave dependent on service
Flexible working arrangements and ability to accrue up to 2 days additional flexi leave per month (subject to operational requirements)
- Defined Benefit Pension Scheme
- Places Leisure, Eastleigh – 30% off Full Membership
- Confidential Employee Advice and Support Programme
- Car and Season Ticket loans
- Excellent working environment
- Support for continuous professional development
- Good work life balance
For an informal discussion please contact: Tracey Churcher, Country Parks Manager on 023 8068 3807
For further information and to apply please visit www.eastleigh.gov.uk
Closing date: Monday 27 May 2019
Interview dates: To be confirmed