Help and advice with housing-related costs

Housing affordability, low-cost loans, referrals and more

There are many costs incurred by moving home and our experienced Housing Case Management Officers can help you to explore the options that may be available to you including:

Tenancy Start Up loan
If you are homeless or you have a threat of homelessness and you do not have the finances required to secure a property in the private rented sector, you may be eligible for a Tenancy Start Up loan. Prior to approving the loan, a full assessment will be carried out to ensure the property is suitable and affordable for you. You will be required to repay the loan at a rate that is affordable to you which will be agreed as part of the loan application. If the loan is approved, the funds will be paid directly to the landlord.

Rent Top Up loan
If you are threatened with homelessness due to rent arrears, you may be eligible for assistance with a Rent Top Up loan. In order to consider you for a loan, we will need to know how your arrears have accrued and carry out a full financial assessment to ensure the property is sustainable for you to continue living there. We will assist you to ensure you are maximising your income entitlement and explore ways in which your housing costs could be better met. As part of the application, your landlord must also confirm that any notice will be rescinded and that you will no longer be threatened with homelessness. If the loan is approved, the funds will be paid directly to the landlord.

Applying for a loan
If you would like to apply for one of the above loans, please contact us immediately. An experienced Housing Case Management Officer will carry out the necessary eligibility and suitability assessments and guide you through the application process.

Discretionary Housing Payment
If you are in receipt of housing-related benefits, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). DHP’s can be considered towards the costs of securing rented accommodation, rent arrears or a top up if your housing-related benefit does not meet your full rental liability.

Housing-related benefits
If you are on a low income you may be eligible for a housing-related benefit towards your rental costs. For most, this will be Universal Credit Housing Component. To find out if you are eligible, you can calculate your entitlement to Universal Credit.

If you are over pensionable age and require assistance towards your rental costs, you will need to claim Housing Benefit. To find out if you are eligible, you can calculate your  entitlement to Housing Benefit.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may benefit from assistance from a foodbank. There are two foodbanks servicing the borough and we are one of the many organisations to hold referral vouchers.

Foodbanks rely on the generosity of the community to facilitate this service. If you would like to make a donation, please contact:

Eastleigh Basics Bank
Unit G6, Wells Place
SO50 5PP

Telephone: 07563 609994
Open: 10am – 3pm Tuesdays and Thursdays

Hedge End Food Centre
Kings Community Church
Upper Northam Road
Hedge End
SO30 4BZ

Telephone: 01489 784333
Open: 10am – 1.30pm Mondays and Thursdays

If you would like to be referred for assistance from a foodbank, please contact our housing team.

Furniture and household items
SCRATCH is a charity organisation providing furniture and household items to those experiencing financial hardship. The charity welcome donations of used quality items from the community and offer both a collection service for donations and a delivery service.

If you are homeless or have a threat of homelessness and you find a new home, you may be eligible for a referral to SCRATCH for a package of furniture and household items. We will cover the cost of the package but you will be expected to pay the delivery charge of £10. Depending on availability, the following items can be included in your package:

  • Sofa’s
  • Tables and chairs
  • Coffee tables/television units
  • Beds
  • Wardrobes
  • Chest of drawers
  • Kitchen box (cutlery, crockery, pots and pans etc)
  • Kettle/toaster/microwave
  • Curtains
  • Flooring/rugs
  • Paint

They can also provide low cost white goods but these are not included in the package we fund. In exceptional circumstances, we may consider you for a household items loan.

To find out if you are eligible for a furniture package or a household items loan, please contact us.

If you would like to make a donation of furniture or household items, please contact or 023 8077 3132.

Local Welfare Assistance payment
Local Welfare Assistance is an emergency payment made to households who experience extreme financial hardship. The  funding is limited and awards will be considered according to circumstances.

If you are experiencing financial hardship and wish to be considered for a payment, please contact us.

Contact our housing team