Taking in lodgers

Page last updated at 03 June 2015 at 13:51


Renting out a room in your home is a great way of earning some extra income and also to help you pay for your rent or mortgage. The demand for spare rooms is set to increase rapidly over the next few years.

You do not need to be a homeowner either - your rental agreement may allow you to take in a lodger (subject to your landlord's consent). This includes privately rented homes and social housing.  If you have a mortgage you need to check that taking in a lodger is within your mortgage lenders terms and conditions. For first time buyers with large mortgages it can make the difference between having a holiday or not.

We aim to encourage people with spare rooms to rent them out. Under the welfare benefit changes for people in receipt of housing benefits from 1st April 2013, the amount you get may reduce if you have a spare room or more. Taking in a lodger will help to provide an income which you could use to help pay your rent (although if you do rely on benefits you will have to declare a 'non-dependent' is living with you).

You will need to make sure that the person you take in is suitable for you and local charities like No Limits can help you with this.  Housing association tenants can also get information and advice about taking in a lodger or boarder from their landlord.

The booklet below provides a useful introduction concerning how to go about renting out a room. Key website links are included for each topic which direct to more detailed information.

If you wish to check the impact of renting a room in your home will have on your benefit entitlements please contact Eastleigh Borough Council’s Revenue and Benefits Unit on 023 8068 8046 or email: revbens@eastleigh.gov.uk