Improvements and repairs to property

Property in disrepair - contact your landlord if your home needs repairs, is damp or mouldy

If you think your home needs repairs or improvements you should always contact your landlord first. If your landlord does not carry out the work then please contact us.

Your landlord is usually responsible for:

  • the exterior and structure of the building
  • the water, gas and electricity supply
  • toilets, bathrooms and drainage; and
  • installations for food safety, ventilation, and heating for rooms and water

The Health and Safety Rating System
Your landlord or their agent must tell you of any serious hazards that exist in your home and around it. There is a ‘housing health and safety rating system’ of 29 potential hazards, including noise; mould and damp; harmful substances like asbestos; overcrowding, poor lighting and pests.

When major hazards are identified the Council has statutory duty to remove them.  For lesser hazards we can take enforcement action .

Gas safety

All gas installations and appliances must be checked and maintained every 12 months by a suitably qualified installer.

HSE website

Gas Safe Register

Electrical safety

Landlords must ensure that all electrical installations are in safe condition. Any necessary work must be carried out.

Electrical Safety First

Dampness and mould growth

Dampness and mould growth is a common problem, particularly during the winter months. If your rented property is suffering from dampness and/or mould growth you can download our advice leaflet for support and information.