Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

Properties containing two or more households

What is a 'House in Multiple Occupation'?

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is generally any property, house or flat, where there are two or more separate households sharing one or more basic amenity (such as a toilet, bathroom, or kitchen) and where there is rent or some other form of payment made by at least one person.

If you are a landlord or private tenant and you are unsure whether the property you let or rent is an HMO and would like further information please contact us.

Key issues for landlords
HMO's provide a much needed housing, but we often encounter serious problems, such as:

  • overcrowding
  • poor or inadequate kitchen facilities 
  • poor or inadequate bathrooms
  • no or inadequate fire detection
  • inadequate fire separation
  • blocked or unsafe escape routes 

Landlords need to be aware that their responsibilities and the 29 hazard types under the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS) are the same as for other rented properties but that as HMO their property must meet a higher standard in some areas, such as fire detection. Part of this higher standard is through greater management and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupancy (England) Regulations 2006 state the regulations that apply to most HMOs.

In the worst cases the Council can 'close' a HMO but we always endeavour to work with landlords to sort out any problems rather than see people lose their homes. Download our HMO Information Pack for further information and guidance to assist landlords to design, improve and better manage HMOs to a satisfactory standard.

Fire Safety
A landlord of a HMO must have a fire risk assessment for their property. For more information and guidance on how to carry out a fire risk assessment visit Hampshire Fire & Rescue - Business Fire Safety

We work closely with Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service using the national guidance document from Lacors as the minimum standard that will be accepted.

Does your HMO need a licence?

Some HMOs may need to be licensed depending on their size. 

Planning permission may also be required for a property to be used as an HMO and owners should contact us to check.