Making a claim

Page last updated at 17 February 2017 at 10:47

Are you entitled to help with your rent?

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you are on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can make a claim by completing the online claim form.

Please Note:

The minimum version of supported browser for the online calculator is Microsoft Internet Explorer 11, or other recent versions of Google Chrome, Safari and Firefox browsers.

If you are housebound, a Visiting Officer is available to help you complete the form at your home. If you are having difficulty completing the online claim form you can contact this office direct on 02380 688046 to arrange to come into this office where a member of staff will help you complete the form.

Please remember that any delay in claiming will mean that you will lose out on benefit to which you may have been entitled.

*Please note, from 22 February 2017, Eastleigh residents who are working aged may need to claim Universal Credit to help pay their rent.  This will be dependent upon the postcode of the resident - more information can be found here.  Universal Credit claimants who need help with their Council Tax must still apply for Council Tax Support using the links above.

More information on Council Tax Support and Universal Credit can be found on the following links:

What happens when you make a claim?

You will be required to fully complete an online application form and provide original documents to support your claim as asked for on the application form. If you do not, your claim may be delayed and we may not be able to pay you benefit. When we have checked your claim and verified all your details we will assess your claim and write to you with a decision. If you have not heard from us within 21 days of making your claim you should contact the office immediately to check we have received your claim and that we are not waiting for any other information.